Re: thread ids, task ids and subsystems

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: thread ids, task ids and subsystems
Date: 02 Apr 2003 23:00:43 +0200

Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hurd systems code the task id in the thread id.  So a Hurd server can tell
> from which subsystem and task an RPC comes, and take appropriate security
> measures.  The task ID will of course be the PID (and a more global PID can
> be constructed from the subsystem id and the task id).

Are you saying that PIDs will be allocated by the root server (or some
other privileged) server, not by the proc server? (As it's not
mandatory for tasks to register with any proc server, and definitely
not with a privileged one).

Must a subhurd have a different "subsystem id" than its parent? I hope
not, since allocation of a new subsystem id sounds like a privileged
operation, and creating a subhurd shouldn't require any special
privileges.

/Niels