Re: On Compatibility

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: On Compatibility
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:23:31 +0200

   Then that is an extremely unusual situation.

It is extremely usual for places that have a bazillion users and few
admins.

   but the fact that single-user PC's are the rule and not the
   exception.

Depends on _where_.  I can give you several places where it isn't the
rule.

   The point is that if people didn't buy it, they wouldn't make it.

I don't buy that, look at the free software movement.

   Sure, freedom for users to do what?

To do the four freedoms: use, share, modify, examine.

   FireFox is exceptional in that way, but it still proves the point:
   you run FireFox on a PC.

I do? Last time I ran it was on a 25 CPU Sun box hosting 1000 users.
And the time I ran it on a GNU/Linux machine hosting aprox 300 users
(with aprox 70 users on it at a time).

This is why your questions are flawed, the pool of users is infinitly
(close to it atleast) large, and for each example you give, I can give
counter example.