Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:29:39 +0200

At Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:28:56 -0400,
"Jonathan S. Shapiro" <address@hidden> wrote:
> For the moment, I would say: the discussion that has been going on is
> only useful if it leads to a concrete design that we can implement. What
> makes *me* worried is that absolutely *nobody* has responded to my
> suggestion about how to get to coding productively.

If you mean the suggestion: defining the goals to cut away design
options, and then define interfaces, then I totally agree.

The problem is that you have poked into a hornet nest with raising the
question: "What is the goal of the Hurd?"  From just a preliminary
survey it turns out that: You get as many different answers as people
you ask, and second: That some of the goals may be incompatible.
Also, sometimes the wrong goals are stated due to lack of
understanding of the issues.

This is why I believe we first must have at least some understanding
in the consequences of the various goals that can be defined.  Your
input has been tremendously helpful in this regard, IMHO.

I am really very concerned with this question at this very moment, and
trying to find a good answer.  I don't want to give this a rushed
response.  I am also looking for input from anybody whom it may
concern.