Re: Supporting POSIX *users* (was: Re: Does supporting POSIX application

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Supporting POSIX *users* (was: Re: Does supporting POSIX applications require ACLs?)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:16:57 +0200

   I think that we are using different measurements. I think you are
   counting system calls, where as I am looking at key concepts.

Syscalls are in the kernel, POSIX isn't in the kernel.  So no, I'm not
counting syscalls.

   The fundamental basis for security in any system is to start from
   an initial condition where no communication is possible and then
   add communication authority to the mix selectively and cautiously.

   Any system that begins with this assumption is fatally flawed from
   a security perspective.

No, it is fatally flawed from _your_ perspective. You want a absurd
level of security that is simply not needed for a system that one uses
on a daily basis.

   > I disagree, look at OpenBSD.

   OpenBSD security is a joke.

So prove it.  You always claim things without backing them up.