Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:11:21 -0400

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 17:32 +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    I believe that POSIX is not the way of the future.
>
> Then put your money where your mouth is, rewrite Emacs for a non-POSIX
> system.  You are not allowed to use the standard C library, or
> anything else that POSIX states.  And as a cherry on top of that, get
> it integrated upstream.  When you are done with that, you can port
> GNOME to a non-POSIX system.

Well, actually, we *have* done a substantial port of GTK to a non-POSIX
system. We didn't really have any big problem with libc, either (which
isn't POSIX, by the way).

>    You (and I) may not think it is perfect, but there definitely does
>    exist a free POSIX system with comprehensive support and a very
>    widespread user base.
>
> And that system happens to be the GNU system, which GNU/Linux is based
> on.  The same system that you are talking about, the same system that
> you say shouldn't use POSIX.

Ah. So you agree that the 1984 objectives of the Hurd have already been
met. This is wonderful. It releases us from the burden of legacy, since
the problem is already solved.