Re: A simple question

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: A simple question
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:13:28 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:09:30PM +0530, Jayabalan_Aaron wrote:
> first there was gnu-mack, then came l4-pistachio now  coyotes if its
> goin to be a gnu/os, then why not stick with a gnu microkernal, why
> change the microkernal so frequently, is it some thing to do with the
> hurd's expectations

Well, it's not really "changing". Rather, Hurd/L4 was an experimental
port done *in parallel* to the existing Hurd implementation on Mach; and
the same is true for ngHurd. (Only that Hurd/L4 was intended to be a
direct port of Hurd/Mach, while ngHurd will be a very different system.)

It's not at all clear whether ngHurd will work out, nor whether it will
actually *replace* the existing Hurd even if it works.

IMHO, the latter is rather unlikely -- it's just too different. I guess
they will exist in parallel, or maybe at some point they will get merged
into something new -- something the borrows some of the good ideas from
ngHurd, but is less radical.

-antrik-