Re: A simple question

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: A simple question
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:17:14 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 04:55:11PM +0200, Espen Skoglund wrote:

> Just out of curiosity; what L4 implementation were you considering to
> use then?

Well, the obvious candidates: L4ng or L4.sec. My understanding is that
the Hurd/L4 developers felt *neither* of the two groups seemed very
eager to address the capability-related issues they have been pointing
out :-( This is where Coyotos scores: At least the capability handling
can be considered very mature...

Note that this is a rather theoretical question anyways: Presently
nobody actually plans continuing work on Hurd/L4. The former Hurd/L4
main developers are now set on Coyots, while others prefer continuing
work on the existing Hurd/Mach. It may be years until somebody restarts
the Hurd/L4 effort. IMHO that's a pity, but my own priorities are not at
the microkernel level, and I lack both technical and social skills to
pick it up myself anyways :-(

-antrik-