Writing down design documents

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Writing down design documents
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 04:51:59 +0200

Hi,

I'd like to advocate here for some work on all that has been said on
this list the past months. There have been passionate discussions, some
with a clear consensus at the end, some not. There have been
explanations on concepts, design decisions, desirable properties and
features, some clear and pedagogical, some not. ;-)

But all of this, at the moment, is scatterd in the mailing list archive,
which is all but convenient to read. When you want to understand
something, you have to replay by their begin all the discussions on it.

So why not write down some documentation about what we are discussing
here, to make it easier for newcomers to grab the situation when they
want? (and for the others to refresh their memory when they need)

Here are the main documents I'd like to see to find information quicker:
- Design principles
- Concepts (things like POSIX, capabilities, etc.)
- Subsystems

The main part would be the latter. There could be pages where the
consensus found is explained, along with the alternatives. For complex
problems, maybe the design and the rationale should be separated.

Could the main contributors of the discussions state if they agree or
not on this idea? I'd like to help on this particular point, so I'm
willing to try to write at least stub pages and begin to fill them with
what has been said on the list, but I don't think it's even feasible
with the help on the authors of the ideas...

Documentally,
Nowhere man
--
address@hidden