Re: Reliability of RPC services

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Reliability of RPC services
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:45:36 -0400

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 22:09 +0200, Tom Bachmann wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > I don't think there is a general
> > answer for M to the question when it needs to recover.
> >

> can't C just tell M?

I think that there must have been a private message here, or perhaps I
have not received Marcus's message yet.

The answer in general is "no", for two reasons:

1. C may not be entitled to know what M will do. It is hard to predict
how to recover from unknown actions.

2. It would make the interface impossibly complicated.

This is why I was very careful in my description to say that "the
recovery boundary is between M and S". This means that C trusts M fully
to recover in whatever way is appropriate (i.e. C and M fail as a unit).

If we are also concerned that M may fail to respond to C, then it is the
obligation of C to implement a recovery strategy.

The point of using three parties in my example was to illustrate that
all recovery boundaries are IPC boundaries, but not all IPC boundaries
are recovery boundaries.