Re: the deadly hypercube of death, or: handling permissions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: the deadly hypercube of death, or: handling permissions
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:59:26 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 02:24:49PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> At Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:58:30 +0200,
> Pierre THIERRY <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Something should also be considered: is it always needed or desirable to
> > have many independent permissions associated with one capability? I
> > mean, if execution permission has no relation with read/write
> > permission, there is no need for a capacity that could designate both.
> > If I want to execute a file, I invoke the execution cap. If I want to
> > read it, I invoke the read cap.
>
> This works, but could easily result in a management nightmare.  You
> would have to keep track of up to N capabilities for each "actual"
> capability you are interested in.  Delegation would then be simple of
> course: You just select the desired capabilties from the set.

In practice, there should not exist a zillion of permission types for a given
interface.  Otherwise, that might mean that the interface is just too
large.

For small, specific interfaces, permission bits may even not be
needed at all most of the time: a capability to an object implementing a
small interface is already a very small, potentially "atomic" (i.e., no
further dividable) piece of authority.

Thanks,
Ludovic.