Re: the deadly hypercube of death, or: handling permissions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: the deadly hypercube of death, or: handling permissions
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:43:48 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 04:34:31PM +0200, Tom Bachmann wrote:
> This is mostly what the directories i guess he is talking about do. But
> usually, you have some generic ``write right'' that contains more
> authority than a ``read capability''. Take for instance a directory of
> the kind we are talking about. ``write right'' would here e.g. mean that
> you can create more entries.

Right.  I'm not saying that read/write does not make sense at all, I'm just
saying that it does not make sense for all object types.

Besides, the issue I was raising could be summarized, roughly, as follows:
what's the difference between a language run-time and an OS?  The main
difference, I think, is that an OS should preferably be language-neutral,
which leads to various complications.  However, the design of a
capability-based language should not be very different from that of a
capability-based OS.

Thanks,
Ludovic.