Re: Child killing UI (was Re: Reliability of RPC services)

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Child killing UI (was Re: Reliability of RPC services)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:04:49 +0200

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 01:49:38PM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 28/04/2006 hora 01:51:
> > > I'm not sure if the powerbox shoudl allow such potentially malicious
> > > behaviour: if the resource is for a plugin, shouldn't the powerbox
> > > be able to tell the user that the plugin indeed will be the
> > > recipient of the capability?
> > It can't, because it is the powerbox of the browser.  The plugin does
> > not have its own powerbox.
>
> Why?

Because the browser started it and didn't give it one, as it didn't need it.

If the browser thinks it does need it it can give it, but noone can see if the
browser isn't just proxying the whole thing.  So it makes no difference
security-wise: the browser can see everything if it wants.

In general, only for programs which were started directly by the shell does it
make sense to give out a power box.

Thanks,
Bas