Re: Reliability of RPC services

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Reliability of RPC services
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 04:04:46 +0200

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 09:48:43PM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 20:14 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > At Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:31:14 +0200,
> > Bas Wijnen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > I do agree with Marcus that UDP-style RPC operations suck, and we want
> > > something better.  To make clear what I (and I think Marcus) want:
> > >   It should be possible to design an application in such a way that it
> > >   can handle potentially malicious servers, other than by not talking to
> > >   them at all.  When the server is found to be malicious, it is the
> > >   user's responsibility to shoot it down.  When that happens, the
> > >   application should be able to recover.  A condition for that is that
> > >   it gets notified about the situation.
> >
> > This is a good description of my initial motivation.  I agree with
> > Jonathan however that we must be careful not to jump to conclusions.
>
> Yes. Bas's comment was correct up to the last sentence. The last
> sentence is wrong.

In fact, I was using a "notify" in a very broad sense there.  It included
things like a watchdog or the user sending a message about it.  The thing is
that something must trigger the process to act.  This trigger is what I meant
with a notification.

> A better statement of the requirement is:
>
>   A condition for that is that the client be able to discover
>   the situation of a malicious server, and that this discovery
>   should occur promptly enough to be pragmatically useful.

This is not what I meant (I assumed that the user, not the client, would
personally need to intervene and kill the server).  But it sounds useful. :-)

> Note that even this cannot be a requirement, since some discoveries of
> malice are things that we foundationally do not know how to accomplish
> within the limits of information theory today.

Yes.  But we can at least detect part of it.  Note that while I wrote
"potentially malicious", I really meant "potentially buggy (or even
malicious)".

Thanks,
Bas