Re: Reliability of RPC services

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Reliability of RPC services
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 03:58:10 +0200

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 09:26:50PM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 19:55 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Here is, in an informal manner, one of the invariants I mean: When a
> > process is in a call, and waiting on a reply (send-once) capability,
> > from a global system perspective one can identify a process "on which"
> > the caller is waiting: Namely the process holding the reply
> > capability.
>
> But in a scheduler activation design no process is ever waiting in this
> fashion. How should this be specified in a context of scheduler
> activations?

I think Marcus was talking about a single-copy reply-capability here.  So
there's only one process holding it.

Even if technically the process isn't "waiting" for the reply, in practice it
will in fact be waiting in the sense that it cannot continue with something
until it received a reply.  This doesn't mean it doesn't do other things, but
it's waiting nonetheless.

Thanks,
Bas