Re: No need for CC, please

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: No need for CC, please
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 04:16:26 -0400

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 06:28:12PM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> Scribit Thomas Schwinge dies 02/05/2006 hora 09:07:
> > I can't / don't want to afford to always parse through my whole
> > l4-hurd list folder.  But if I'm participating in discussions, I'd
> > like to be made aware of replies to the messages I sent.  That's why I
> > receive an extra copy, which will show up in my inbox.
>
> I could suggest, as it was done to me, to fix your mail agent: there
> should be a way for you te be made aware of replies to specific threads.
> An extra copy is a big overhead for this, I think.

You think?  I don't.  ;-)

> (I think it is somewhat a weak argument, but no more than 'fix your mail
> agent to deal with the extra copy')

And what about my other argument?  (The including non list members into
discussions one.)

> > If the list has member personalized messages enabled, and you elect to
> > receive copies, every copy will have a X-Mailman-Copy: yes header
> > added to it.
>
> I still want to receive emails by the list, to read the emails in the
> list inbox, with all others, which for the moment has always seemed to
> be the most sensible way to do it.
>
> Could you suggest a way to use the mailman header to avoid the annoyance
> of the mails going in my personal inbox?

Hm.  You could drop mail that has address@hidden in the To: or Cc:
header, but doesn't have a List-Id: header.  That's the only way I can
imagine right now (at least without constructing a more convoluted
scenario); Mailman can't do anything for you, since you'll always get the
direct reply from a third party, i.e. without any list headers, etc.
(That's also why Olaf's suggestion in <address@hidden>
won't work, if I understood it correctly.)

Regards,
 Thomas