Re: Restricted storage

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: Restricted storage
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 22:26:02 +0200

On 6/1/06, Jonathan S. Shapiro <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 17:35 +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> It is not much different from how you plan to do it though.  Suppose I do this
> without system support.  I join a group and donate some storage to it.  A part
> of a private key gets stored on that storage.  I decide to leave the group and
> revoke my storage.  Then the private key that was (partly) stored on it is
> lost, giving the whole group problems.  If you want to make this system
> usable, the storage must be durable.  There may be approaches which work
> without the system administrator, but they need support from the system, that
> is the machine owner.

1. This is a different failure mode.
2. When I said "donate", I did not mean "revocably".

> And how can the group protect against revocation?  Right, it can't.  So you
> need to trust the members that they don't revoke the storage.

Your assumption, not mine.

> They will have to do it socially anyway.  The trust this is about is trust in
> the machine owner.  With TC, it is trust in the OS builder (and the TC
> component manufacturer).

In most circumstances, the decision to trust the OS owner involves a
much smaller degree of exposure than the decision to trust the machine
owner.

> > But the factor that you seem to be ignoring is the importance of
> > *confidence*.
>
> Why would people have more confidence in us and the TC component builders than
> in the person who installed the OS on the machine (which in many cases they
> may be themselves)?

Oh well, there are many more machines than there are OSes. So there
is a point here. But unless we do TC we always need to trust the
machine owner.

Easy: In one case, they *only* need to rely on the OS+TC builders. In
the other case, they need to rely on OS+TC+Installer. One dependency set

You deliberately enlarge the second group. Only the OS and the
Installer (machine owner) belong ot the second group.
And I personally do not find much confidence in the TC. It turned out
that CAs for SSL aren't very trustworthy, and I do not see any
principial difference between the CA scheme and the TC scheme.

is strictly larger than the other (therefore has lower confidence). I
would add: of these, the Installer is the weakest link; there is a
qualitative reduction in confidence here.

I would say that in the other case the TC is the weak link. And that
the responsibility for their actions is more likely enforced with
regard to machine owners than TC manufacturers (which would usually
claim no responsibility and/or reside in a different country).

Thanks

Michal