libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] Ruby interface to libcdio

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Ruby interface to libcdio
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:09:08 -0500

Recently I've been doing some Ruby on Rails work and taking a break
from that I have started a libcdio via SWIG. If there are any Ruby
users out there, please don't hesitate to help and join in.

Using SWIG as opposed to using a more language-specific extension
mechanism has really paid off in being able to be able to port and
build upon interfaces across languages. In particular a patch by
Shannon to extend the Perl library to include get_msf() has been used
in the Python interface with very little changes. Well, actually no
changes in the SWIG part. And the Language-specific changes are just
straight-forward translations. So the same code is also now in the
Ruby interace too.

But having written all of this, I am no Ruby expert.

What I have can be seen at
  http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/libcdio/rbcdio/

or checked out via

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/libcdio co rbcdio

I don't have an automated tarball since I don't even know enough about
Ruby to do that or know enough to create a gem install.

What's there right now, just the libcdio part -- not libiso9660, mmc,
cdda-paranoia, or UDF library -- has bugs. But to be fair, there is
nothing for cdda-paranoia or UDF in Python or Perl either. And those
too still have bugs, although far less.

Probably only 60% or so of what's there for Ruby works. And there is a
bit that should be made more Ruby idiomatic. For example one thing I
know about is that I have a set_track routine when it should be called
track=.