libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] [Patch] More bullet-proof drive detection for GNU/Linux

From: plaum
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] [Patch] More bullet-proof drive detection for GNU/Linux
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:30:52 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

the drive detection for GNU/Linux had several flaws, e.g. if /dev/hda is
a harddisk and /dev/hdb is a CDRom which is *not* in fstab or mtab, it
wasn't found.

So I made a patch, does the following:

- The drive detection tries hd[a-z], sr[0-27], scd[0-27] and no longer
  stops if a non-cd drive was found (or if the device doesn't exist).
  I'm not a SCSI expert but I heard something about a maximum of
  4 SCSI controllers with 7 drives each.

- The function cdio_add_device_list() now adds drives, which come
  under different names (i.e. as symlinks) only once.

- A new function libcdio_follow_symlink() in util.c (moved from
  gnu_linux.c, where I wrote it earlier).

- Unrelated but trivial: The trailing "cvs" is removed from the
  LIBCDIO_VERSION_NUM in the configure script to allow arithmetic
  comparisons.

It works pretty well here, but since it changes some major behaviour,
I to post it here before I apply it.

Cheers

Burkhard