libcdio-help

Re: [Libcdio-help] reading the whole 2352 bytes from every type of secto

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-help] reading the whole 2352 bytes from every type of sector
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:22:02 -0500

Matheus Izvekov writes:

 > The problem is that currently in libcdio this would not work for image files,
 > because there is no way to do something similar to a GP_CMD_READ,
 > CDIO_MMC_READ_TYPE_ANY, as you call it.

Actually, CDIO_MMC_READ_TYPE_ANY doesn't do what you want.  It is more
of a "do the right kind of read for whatever format is in there". Not
return all the data that is in a frame.

 > If I would go as implementing
 > this, should I create another primitive function, or add support for that mmc
 > command on the CD image drivers?
 > IMHO, mmc_read_cd is too complex for an operation this simple,

Heh, heh. I think were getting the "dilemma" of simulating a CD-ROM
for a particular CD image format ;-)

 > so maybe an
 > additional function would be better.

libcdio does have some higher-level functions based on mmc. The
closest thing there right now is cdio_read_sectors. But it doesn't do
what you want.

Furthermore, I suspect what you want may not be as simple as you
imagine, although there may be some special cases which are simple.
general.

Depending what image format is used and how the image was created
(e.g. Disc-at-once, Track-at-once, or sector), the various bits of
data may or may not be explicitly represented in the image. It is
possible, that some of the error correction for various modes may be
computed just before writing tracks/sectors to the CD medium. Also the
mapping of how something appears in the CD image and how it can appear
in a subchannel can be a bit arbitrary.  For exampe CD-Text
information is given in one place in BIN/CUE. How that text gets split
and put as subchannel information somewhat arbitrary.