libcdio-help

Re: [Libcdio-help] Copying a file from a DVD to local storage

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-help] Copying a file from a DVD to local storage
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:33:05 -0400

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 4:18 AM, Syed Ahsan <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,
I am using libcdio-0.82. And was trying to copy a file from a DVD to local
storage.

I used isofile1.c and isofile2.c codes given in the example folder to
generate a code that is supposed to do the required job. The code is working
fine for CDs and even with DVDs for files which lie between lsn #0 to lsn
#leadout-track.

So,
1) Does libcdio works for DVDs ? .. as some codes which provide info for the
disk, like track.c and even my code (for some cases) was working for DVDs.

Somewhat, and not really, and no depending on what aspect of DVD's you want. If the DVD has an ISO 9660 file systems (which it can have, but often doesn't) then I think somewhat. More often DVD's use the UDF file system and that is in the "somewhat" category. Much work should be done here to improve UDF, but right now no one has been up to the task.

2) Is there a way that I can achieve the same functionality using libcdio
only, or should I use libdvdread or some other library ?

libdvdread seems to be the library that is most used for DVDs that are Movies. The last time I checked or had contact with the author, I believe he said that it was intended for media players which play DVD movies and so the API is geared towards that and not say for other kinds of DVDs such as DVD's to store data.

3) I also tried using udf (examples/udffile.c, which came bundled with
libcdio), as DVDs have UDF filesystem. But it only works for images that are
of UDF format. Can it be changed to read directly from DVD.

I checked the code and when I specified a DVD drive, udffile.c did read from it

I'm in Japan right now and not in a situation where I can easily burn a data DVD with a  UDF filesystem.

If however what you are trying to read is a movie DVD, data is encrypted and libcdio won't help here, while libdvdread probably will.

( I looked into
the udf_open code, it was using cdio_open, so I passed NULL as an argument
to udf_open for it to read from disk, but it gave some error. )

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Ahsan