libconf-dev

[Libconf-dev] Re: [webmin-l] libconf

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: [Libconf-dev] Re: [webmin-l] libconf
Date: 30 Jun 2003 08:58:56 -0400

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 19:52, Jamie Cameron wrote:

> Each webmin module has a library of functions for parsing the config
> files that it manages, which are used by the module's CGI programs.

Right.  But there does not seem to be any standard regarding writing the
functions to parse the files, so you have to first figure out how each
module does it and when combining several modules' functions into a new
module, have differing methods.  Very confusing.  Easier to rewrite the
parsers all in a consistent form for the new module.

> So it seems to me that Libconf is very similar to one of the existing
> 'layers' in Webmin, though probably better written and more suited to
> use by stand-alone programs.

And provides a consistent method of data access, for every file it deals
with.  This is the important part.

> That would be possible, but I would be reluctant to add such a major
> module dependency to Webmin.. Currently one of it's nicest features is
> that you can install it on any system running Perl, and no extra
> modules are needed (unless you want to turn on SSL).

But if you can install the Webmin perl suite, installing the Libconf
perl suite should be just as easy.  It's not like additional work, such
as compiling C programs is necessary.

> Of course, any third-party module writers who want to use Libconf
> should do so ..

Of course.  I was hoping for a tighter embrace I guess.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell <address@hidden>