libconf-dev

Re: [Libconf-dev] Re: [webmin-l] libconf

From: dams
Subject: Re: [Libconf-dev] Re: [webmin-l] libconf
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:36:12 +0200

"Brian J. Murrell" <address@hidden> said:

> On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 19:52, Jamie Cameron wrote:
>>
>> Each webmin module has a library of functions for parsing the config
>> files that it manages, which are used by the module's CGI programs.
>
> Right.  But there does not seem to be any standard regarding writing the
> functions to parse the files, so you have to first figure out how each
> module does it and when combining several modules' functions into a new
> module, have differing methods.  Very confusing.  Easier to rewrite the
> parsers all in a consistent form for the new module.

libconf provides a perl structure that is mapped to the config file(s). And
soon it will be able to be maped to ldap or a db.

Here is an example :
http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/SystemConfNetwork

Reading the structure description is enough to be able to interact with the
datas. The structure follow a -not yet finalized- standard.
In addition, each module implements high level functions, that will also be
standardized.

I don't think it's a good idea to try to merge/embrasse/whatever webmin and
libconf at this point, because libconf should become more mature imho. On the
other hand, I think it's a good thing to use it whenever possible, to raise any
problem, so that further cooperation can be better prepared.

Do not hesitate to mail here if you need any assistance using libconf.

>> So it seems to me that Libconf is very similar to one of the existing
>> 'layers' in Webmin, though probably better written and more suited to
>> use by stand-alone programs.
>
> And provides a consistent method of data access, for every file it deals
> with.  This is the important part.
>
>> That would be possible, but I would be reluctant to add such a major
>> module dependency to Webmin.. Currently one of it's nicest features is
>> that you can install it on any system running Perl, and no extra
>> modules are needed (unless you want to turn on SSL).
>
> But if you can install the Webmin perl suite, installing the Libconf
> perl suite should be just as easy.  It's not like additional work, such
> as compiling C programs is necessary.

I second Brian here, libconf is 100% standard perl. If we manage to have
something powerfull between libconf and webmin, you can even consider
distributing libconf as a webmin layer.

On the other hand libconf will hopefully be included in some major distros in a
not so late futur, so having a dependancy on it won't be a big deal.

--
dams