libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] Password protected Grub entries

From: Robert Alessi
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Password protected Grub entries
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 11:13:36 +0200

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 11:55:54AM +0100, The Gluglug wrote:
> > I know that this is unsecure, but can't we say
> > that typing passwords into our computers is also insecure?  And
> > what about typing passwords in open spaces with many people all
> > around?  To be more specific, I only enable fprint authentication
> > when I know that I would otherwise have to enter my password under
> > the eyes of other people.
>
> in public places like airports, don't take your main laptop with you.
> leave that secured somewhere, and take a dummy laptop with you (or
> just swap the HDD and re-flash different firmware). You can use
> passwords, just make sure that they are different ones .

I get the point.  Nevertheless, if taking a dummy laptop means that I
have to work on a computer with blobs whenever I am away from home,
I'd say I basically don't want to do this.  If it means that it is a
second computer with libreboot + GNU/Linux, then we are back to square
one, aren't we?

As for changing passwords before leaving, I also perfectly get the
point, although this may be somewhat cumbersome.  The drawback is also
that someone can watch you typing your password over your shoulder,
then steal the laptop.  This is why I asked about other ways to
proceed.