libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] Password protected Grub entries

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Password protected Grub entries
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 11:59:53 -0500

Isn't the problem that you don't know what you have once you lose physical
possession at the airport?  Jacob Appelbaum once only carried a USB stick
with the US Bill of Rights on it through customs and he probably has it
right.  Before firmare became so malicious, I would trust a laptop bought at
random more than I'd trust one after US customs abuse.  Because I don't know
how to install Libreboot yet, I would not risk a good install travelling.
Even if I were good at installing Libreboot, I'd still ditch a laptop if it
were abused at the airport.

I've had laptops taken for out of my sight "inspection" so it's either common
or targeting extends to absurd depths, but probably both.  Thanks to Snowden,
we know that IT people were routinely targeted and that reading Linux Journal
would get you put on a list.  The worse things get, the more our motivation
to protect our privacy should grow.