libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] X60 freezes with kernel > 4.0.7

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] X60 freezes with kernel > 4.0.7
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 00:27:08 +0200

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:06:35 +0200
Robert Alessi <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that my X60s freezes with linux-libre kernel (Parabola) >
> 4.0.7.  Up to 4.0.7, everything was fine.
>
> From 4.1.1, I noticed the following:
> - during boot process, I have this: "Failed to find cpu0 device mode"
> - then after an hour or so, the laptop completely freezes.  I am left
>   with a snapshot of my desktop, and the only thing I can do is press
>   and hold the power button.
>
> This is still present in 4.1.2.
>
> My questions:
> - Is anybody experiencing the same?
Background info on my X60: I've some heat issues: After disassembling
and reassembling it a lot, it got less efficient in heat-cooling.
So I'll try to fix it by putting back some thermal paste, as soon as
possible.

That said, I can reproduce the freeze when making cpu-intensive work.
I use parabola with linux-libre (I don't remember the exact version),
and I didn't try linux-libre-lts recently.

> - What can I do to report this properly?
   You probably  want to identify which commit broke it, you'll need to
   either test fast, or test few revisions.

   Test fast: try to find how to reproduce the problem faster, then you
   can bisect with git-bisect.

   Test fewer revisions: try to narrow it down more using
   older parabola linux-libre kernels.

   An automated way to do that could be done thanks to the watchdog(s).

Denis.