libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] x60 battery seen empty, but fully charged.

From: Daniel Tarrero
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] x60 battery seen empty, but fully charged.
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 16:52:40 +0100

Hi!

>From your talk i have two theories you can give a try:

1.- Your Linux is not using "power save" features, so it drys your batt
faster than windows (the most probabbly i think)

2.- Your Linux is miss-meassuring the battery (it thinks is empty, but
have yet more power. More rare, but also seen.)

For the first theory (1), i will check if "laptop-mode-tools" and
"pm-utils" packages are installed. In my Debian the first is on charge
of spin down hard drives and send "powerdown" state for unused
peripherials. The second are "power-management" tools

Also take a look at some other tweaks you can perform:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_reduce_power_consumption

Also interesting for you will be the "powertop" utility to set up
powersaving setting and diagnose power consumption.

I have found also a custom package claiming it handles "advanced power
management" fot thinkpad laptops. If the "laptop-mode-tools" doesnt work
for you, give it a try!

In Debian you can tweak some stuff in kernel in order to save some
power, the more interesting should be the laptop mode:

$echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode

... but you can also turn off unused ports, limit screen backlight, turn
off the lasers (CD/DVD)

For the second theory (2) i have no idea how to do that, but i remember
a similar problem year ago, and someone got to cheat kernel to think it
had more battery (and it worked). It had something to do with how many
cells the system thought was available.

Take a look at the special files here, they store all information and
parameters that the kernel has about your battery:

$ls /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/

then you can "cat" to read values, like for example, full charge and
current charge of battery installed:

$cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_full
$cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_now

one last advice: do one change at a time, check resoults!

Good luck and share you experiences! :)