libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] Blocking Intel ME ?

From: Daniel Tarrero
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Blocking Intel ME ?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:51:38 +0100

El sáb, 23-01-2016 a las 22:23 +1100, Damien Zammit escribió:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> You can't block the packets sent from the ME using a firewall on the
> same machine where the ME hardware is located.

Agree, we are in the same thoughts :)
We talk about bios level code, so anything over it (operative system,
driver/modules and its software) could be tainted.

So anything usefull in order to block this should came from other
machine (bios/o.s./software :)

> This is because it is using your ethernet card out-of-band to your OS.
> So all packets sneak through the hardware undetected.

yep, also with the computer powered off!!! :S
have you seen your ethernet card led blinking with your computer turned
off? there is a firmware that does it!

> But you can put a firewall on a router externally to block ME packets
> escaping your network if you know where they come from.

that was the idea, maybe i didnt explain myself propperly.