libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] Detection of drives with x200 ultrabase

From: Daniel Tarrero
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Detection of drives with x200 ultrabase
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:06:37 +0100

Hi!

maybe it has something to do with the "mapping of drives".

i read in grub's manual:

"""
Historically, the device map file was used because GRUB device names had
to be used in the configuration file, and they were derived from BIOS
drive numbers. [[[[ The map between BIOS drives and OS devices cannot
always be guessed correctly: for example, GRUB will get the order wrong
if you exchange the boot sequence between IDE and SCSI in your BIOS.
]]]]

Unfortunately, [[[[ even OS device names are not always stable ]]]].
Modern versions of the Linux kernel may probe drives in a different
order from boot to boot, and the prefix (/dev/hd* versus /dev/sd*) may
change depending on the driver subsystem in use. As a result, the device
map file required frequent editing on some systems.

!!!!!!!
[[[[ GRUB avoids this problem nowadays by using UUIDs ]]]] or file
system labels when generating grub.cfg, and we advise that you do the
same for any custom menu entries you write. If the device map file does
not exist, then the GRUB utilities will assume a temporary device map on
the fly. This is often good enough, particularly in the common case of
single-disk systems.

However, the device map file is not entirely obsolete yet, and it is
used for overriding when current environment is different from the one
on boot. Most common case is if you use a partition or logical volume as
a disk for virtual machine. You can put any comments in the file if
needed, as the GRUB utilities assume that a line is just a comment if
the first character is ‘#’.
"""

Maybe interesting for you too:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Device-syntax