libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] Operating System for Asus C201

From: Mike
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Operating System for Asus C201
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 15:41:19 +0100

I would like to thank everyone for their constructive input to this thread.

I have installed Debian with the original chrome OS kernel to get a feel for the device.

I must say that I am surprised that more open source developers are not picking up this laptop, as I am impressed with it as an overall package.  It is a smart looking, well-built machine that belies its low price point.  With the right developer support it would be possible to run a completely open source system with the minor compromise of needing a small Wi-Fi dongle. In the last six months that this device has had Libreboot available for it I have seen nothing else in a modern laptop format that comes close to this, nor do I know of anything else likely to become available in the near future.

I intend to have a go at building a deblobbed chromium kernel to use on the device.

Paul, I suspect some of your plans for more development work with the C201 would be extremely helpful for me so I will eagerly await them as and when you have the time to spend on it. In the meantime, if there is any guidance you can provide about removing the blobs when building the chromium kernel, that would be much appreciated.

I would be more than happy to contribute to a fund to provide C201 laptops to any developers prepared to develop free software for this machine. If anyone knows anyone who would be interested in this and the best way of setting up such a fund, please contact me.

Once again thank you very much for everyone's input.

Kind regards

Mike