libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] Unable to boot after upgrading from Trisquel 6.1 to Tris

From: Daniel Tarrero
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Unable to boot after upgrading from Trisquel 6.1 to Trisquel 7
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 09:49:48 +0200

hi folks!

im not using Triskel, so take that like a general linux advice (there can be
better ways i dont know =)

if i understand u well:
- you had an updated Triskel 6.1 over Linux 3.2.0 working like a charm.
- you did run "do-release-upgrade" and it ended with errors.
- do-release-upgrade didnt request for password.
- you rebooted and now it stucks on boot, in the very beginning

-----
what i see and understand in this screenshot are some i915 errors,
nothing to get scared i thing.

DRM returns some errors about "your VideoBIOS is not signed".
"Digital Rights Management" is there to protect copyrights, probably
Triskel dont use this.

in fact, it keep loading but gives a couple "page table error", so
finally it falls back to FB (framebuffer).

so: it try to load video module/driver, it fails, it falls back to
"almost everywhere compatible FrameBuffer video module", but video looks
like the Blade's movie vampire rave ^^

-----
my bet is that init.rd (or other crucial piece in the early boot stages)
didnt got properly updated, specially the video stuff.

in fact, i bet it's something to do with video (maybe Triskel "flashes"
video bios in the "do-release-upgrade" process? nobody knows ^^)

is the system anyway accesible? does it respond to network ping?
ctrl+alt+F1? ctrl+alt+supr? SysReq?

next time, when something goes wrong with a system update, dont reboot.
Look everywhere for messages and info about what happend =)
-----

something that i would do: look for the "upgrade" error messages if
any:

- boot from USB (good you can do it :)
- mount your unbootable root partition wherever
- chroot into there
- find "do-release-upgrade" and edit and see what it does (somebody
  knows where is the source, is it the same as in Ubuntu? can it fit into
  an email attachment ;)
- look for logs:
- tail -n 50 /var/log/messages
- tail -n 50 /var/log/syslog
- tail -n 50 /var/log/kern.log

If in doubt, stop here, look for more advice and knowledge, send all you find :)

If you see what this script does, and understand the error, probably you
can fix it, within this chroot, just re-running the script "do-release-upgrade".

*****

i dont know details from Triskel yet :), u know, but sudo can be configured to
ask for password, or not; also can be configured not to ask for password for
specific commands (you can tell it "dont ask me password when sudo want to run
"do-release-upgrade"). Dont know if that the case.

anything related to change system packages, kernel, init.rd, boot
manager, file systems: requires root

*****

Regards,