libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] X60 constantly overheating and shutting down.

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] X60 constantly overheating and shutting down.
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 11:08:02 +1000

For what it's worth, I had a similar issue with my Libreboot X60. While
it is possible to mitigate by turning the fan way up, it's noisy,
inconvenient and uses more power. I wrote about that here:

https://stumbles.id.au/controlling-fan-speed-on-thinkpad-x60.html

I've replaced the thermal paste in this machine, which didn't seem to
help (and is a *lot* of work).

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss this as a hardware issue - the
machine seems to work fine, but just runs significantly hotter than it
should. I haven't upgraded the BIOS for a 18 months though, as I've
moved to an X200.

Regards,
Ben