librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] librefm in a public square in Milano

From: Mike Sheldon
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] librefm in a public square in Milano
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 00:54:04 +0000

Hi Paride,

 Sounds like an exciting project, and we'd be happy to help you out if
we can.

 Just to clear up a few bits of information already posted, all music we
stream is licensed under either CC-BY, CC-0, CC-BY-SA or Art Libre,
meaning you can use it in a public setting without needing any
additional licensing (even for commercial use).

 If your system has internet access (which it sounds like it does) then
you don't need to run your own installation of our software, you can
just sign up for a normal account on Libre.fm and stream our music via
our API services.

 Our API is for the most part compatible with the Last.fm API detailed
here: http://last.fm/api however we don't support all of the API methods
that last.fm do yet. Most important perhaps for your purposes are the
lack of any of the playlist methods, however whether this is necessary
or not depends upon exactly how you'd like to make use of the service.
We do have "Love" support for tracks, which effectively makes a randomly
ordered playlist of any tracks that a user has marked as being loved,
which may be enough for your needs?

 I'd be happy to work with you to provide support for anything extra you
need from our end to help with your project though, if you find there
are extra API methods you need then we should be able to add them fairly
quickly.

 You might also like to drop by our IRC channel, #libre.fm on
irc.freenode.net where we can discuss any issues in real-time (my
username there is Elleo).

Cheers,
 Mike.