libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Next steps

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Next steps
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:44:09 -0400

On Wednesday, October 22 2014, Bob Jonkman wrote:

> If you put up a WordPress site then you have a place to post the
> content of your talk. And maybe we could put up minutes from the
> meetings....
>
> But there's already the Wiki, which can serve the same purpose,
> although not with a sexy libreplanet-on.ca domain name.

Yeah.  What we on LibrePlanet São Paulo ended up doing (or actually,
should have done...) was to use the LibrePlanet wiki just as an
"entrance door" to our website: http://libreplanetbr.org.  Then, on the
website, we keep our whole infrastructure:

- Jabber (including our MUC)
- Wiki (yes, another!) at http://wiki.libreplanetbr.org
- Website at http://libreplanetbr.org
- Trac (for administrivia) at http://trac.libreplanetbr.org
- Planet at http://planet.libreplanetbr.org

And so on.  I am not sure why or when I have made this decision of
moving things to our own infra (especially the wiki and the website)
instead of using LibrePlanet's page, but in the end I guess it was
because we have a better sense of control.  [As an example, we're using
ikiwiki there, which can be updated via git, instead of the giant
MediaWiki.]

> As far as an XMPP (Jabber) server goes, I'm already self-hosting one
> (I'm xmpp:address@hidden BTW) but it might be nice to host a
> Multi-User Chat room (MUC) in place of (or in addition to) the IRC
> channel.

Yeah, I'm self-hosting mine too, and we offer XMPP accounts on
LibrePlanet São Paulo's server as well.  But what I want to do (not sure
if it was clear) is to offer XMPP accounts under the libreplanet.ca
domain too.

> We could host an ownCloud server; good for sharing a calendar
> (although ownCloud calendars aren't yet available on public shares).

Nice idea, but if it's only for calendar, I'd prefer going with Baikal +
Agendav.

> And then there's GNUsocial...

Yeah :-).

I could run GNU Social on my server, no problem.  I'm already using
LibrePlanet São Paulo's GNU Social for my account (and I don't intend to
migrate), but I can certainly offer it there.

One thing that came to my mind was that we may want to move all those
services to our own VPS/dedicated server/whatever in the future (when we
have more members and can fund it), so *maybe* it would be good to run
few things in my server for now, just for the sake of the migration pain
that will happen later :-).

Cheers,

--
Sergio