libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Meetup: January 20th, 6:30pm at Duke of Kent

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Meetup: January 20th, 6:30pm at Duke of Kent
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 00:21:46 +0000

OK, here are the notes I took a the meeting yesterday. Feel free to add, change, delete, and post on the Wiki for further mangling...

--Bob.

== LibrePlanet Ontario Meeting ==
=== Tuesday, 20 January 2015, 6:30pm to 8:30pm ===
Duke of Kent Pub, Yonge & Eglinton, Toronto, Ontario

(bullet points rearranged slightly from the order in which they were discussed)

==== Meetings ====

* Host some meetings in other locations, eg. Kitchener-Waterloo or Ottawa
* There was some interest from people in KW, but lack of easy/cheap prevents them from attending meetings in KW * There have been sightings of Libre Software people from the Otttawa area in the IRC channel ( irc://irc.freenode.net/#lp-ca-on )
* Meetings should be scheduled at regular times and at a regular venue
 * We'll try the Alleyne Computer Centre (???)
 * Meetings on a Saturday would encourage turnout from other localities
 * Hold virtual meetings to alternate with meatspace meetings
* Streamcast meatspace meetings with a full stack of Libre software
 * The software demonstrated
 * The platform OS running the software demonstrated
 * The streamcasting recording/broadcast software
 * The editing software
* The output format should be in an open format, released under a Free Culture license

==== Web site ====

* Set up web site http://libreplanetontario.ca (???) to re-redirect to the Wiki page http://wiki.libreplanet.net/wiki/Ontario (???) * Post an RSS feed aggregator on a subdomain http://news.libreplanetontario.ca (???) * Potential feeds: Blaise Alleyne's blog, !Libreplanet group in the !Fediverse, Wiki updates * Wiki should have sub-pages for chapters, eg. Kitchener-Waterloo, Ottawa, Toronto
 * Put them all in a Category:LibrePlanetOntario

==== Other ====

* Matt Lee from the FSF will be coming to Toronto on (??? Dates ???)
 * Invite Matt Lee to speak at the next LibrePlanet Ontario meeting
 * There should certainly be a post-meeting meeting at a local pub!

* Free Software projects could have a "Product Channel"
* Corporations can issue RFQs, Purchase Orders, buy a license, get it all OK'd by their Legal Dept. * Channel partners (independent consultants, perhaps the developers) can provide support
 * Dual-license for corporate use? Maybe, maybe not.
* May result in things like Marketing Managers on Free Software products; project focus being driven by sales rather than what's good for the project