Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 10:09:34 +0200

Dnia poniedziałek, 7 maja 2012 o 20:35:08 Jason Self napisał(a):
> Mozilla's campaigns to get people to use Firefox worked well enough
> because there was a "thing" that people could go download and use.
> While it's possible to build the GNU Operating System it's not
> really a completed and ready to use system just yet. Most people
> use derivatives instead, with the Ubuntu GNU/Linux distribution
> you mention being an example of a popular one that also bundles
> proprietary software.
>
> The goal of simply getting people to use free software (aka
> "popularity") is not enough, in my opinion. The goal should be to
> instead teach people about why freedom matters so that they will
> refuse proprietary software and not run it anymore. The big
> question is how do you change people's *values* and get them to
> value freedom? Anything that doesn't do that means that they'll
> just switch to the next neat thing when that comes along later.

That is precisely why I wrote about getting people off the proprietary
social networks. It can be fun, you do it in groups, you can have
tiered activities (e.g.: tier 1. set-up a Diaspora account; tier 2.
close your FB account; tier 3. set-up your own Diaspora server), and
it would be possible to build momentum around it.

And this could be a "ateway drug" to freedom, as people already
interested in leaving the failbooks could be exposed to message about
the rest of the FaiF ecosystem.

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania