Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 22:28:44 -0400

    What is the role of free software and the developers who believe in a
higher
    cause?

I tink free software IS a higher cause.  Having control over your computing
is now an essential human right.

Of course, this is part of the broader cause of human rights in
general.

           It is my belief that our role is to take back the freedoms that have
    been stolen from us by trickery and subversion. What can we possible offer
    to the masses? Another social networking program, word processor, or some
    cool nitch application? How about giving back their voices, security, and
    privacy.

It sounds good, but it is very general.

     There is little doubt, to anyone
    with any reasoning skills left, that we are moving rapidly to a fascist
    state.

I agree.

    While the new and popular movements , like OWS and such, are beneficial,
the
    exposure of the message to the masses is still controlled by entities who
    are in fact enemies of the people.

If you're talking about the problem of the corporate-dominated mass
media, I agree -- but how to change this is not clear.  Many efforts
have been made, with only partial success.

    No one but the originator has the
    private key, and in fact, no other attributes need be added if the holder
    does not wish to. The only thing that is important is that the certificate
    is unique and that it represents a valid living person. THAT IS ALL.

This could be useful.  I don't see how it relates to the issue
of how to get any messages out to the people, but it could be very useful
for other things.

Do you mind if I ask some encryption experts to look at this idea?
--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation