Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 12:31:28 +0100

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Alexey Eromenko <al4321@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do we have the manpower to solve these problems?
> If so, where is it?

OSS / community projects start as an one-man-effort.
Only if you volunteer.
Just ask some organization (FSF? OSI?) to give you servers later, for
production use. (data proxy + central registry + VoIP gateway...)

All dev can be done on 2 PCs, on home LAN.
Protect your project / central registry by trademark name, so forkers
won't have 1000 of registries, which will kill the purpose.

Is any dev actually needed at this point, though? Or are we already at the point where it's time to scale it up?
To be clear, the problem we are talking about is as Michał said:

Currently the users cannot be bothered with Yet Another Protocol or
Social Network, because they already use a multitude of those.

That is one of the reasons why Diaspora, StatusNet, XMPP, SIP hasn't
picked up users as fast as we would like them to. And they won't as
long as using them is more cumbersome than proprietary, centralised
networks/protocols.

I think we have the technology already; we need to focus on tackling
the network effect and on heavily usability.