Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 07:27:31 +0100

Thomas's reply (below) wasn't sent to the list originally.
It seems like in the right direction, but I feel the difficulty is
still quite high.

For context: I would like some resources and help with migrating all
aspects of my digital life to ones that promote a free society.
I already use a free operating system, and am happy with that part.
I disconnected from Facebook and Twitter and don't miss them.
The main non-free network services I use heavily are for email and calendar.
(Minor network services I use are for task list, akrasia-management,
and scheduling events, but I have a feeling it will be easy for me to
write my own simple replacements for these after changing the way I
approach email.)

So, I am looking for a guide for semi-technical users on how to escape
Gmail and Google Calendar.
Also, I want to know more about why I should even care about escaping from them.
I don't have anything to hide, I like the side-benefits of tracking
(it outweighs the cost for me), and I trust Google's privacy policy.
However, the main argument that does it for me is that such a large
and detailed repository of someone's life is inherently dangerous:
maybe one day the culture will change and it will turn out that I do
have something to hide, or maybe the company will turn out different
than I thought or change their policy.
Furthermore, by setting the example and paving the way to migrate out,
I make it easier for people who currently really do need to be using
free services only, and it helps me to make a point in discussion if I
practice what I preach.

Is there a wiki guide or an online community of people for helping
other people migrate to free network services?
I thought it would be made of a lot of the people also on LibrePlanet... :)