Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email

From: Thomas Harding
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 20:01:27 +0200

On 08/08/2012 08:27, Ramana Kumar wrote:
Thomas's reply (below) wasn't sent to the list originally.
It seems like in the right direction, but I feel the difficulty is
still quite high.

Not so :

* all you need is an ISP which offers for free or as a non free option a fixed IPv4 address (my case is "comes together, no extra cost"...) [see also inbound 25], and a "domain" you own.

* If your mail cannot outbound from your ISP net /25, you can also relay on your ISP servers (can't reamain the option in Postfix, but it is like "forwarders" in Bind). This is a bad workaround -- no direct "talk", you can be spied -- Not my case : there is an option on my ADSL box setup to allow outbound 25 :)

* "normally" there is no restriction on 25/inbound on any ISP. If any, the only solution is to switch... ISP

* "submission" port is for your personal access to your server to post while you connect from any location (never filtered by isps). I had to setup that after a journey "read only" in my family with "no TSP/UDP 25 outbound" :P

[about wrong reply]
All my apologies on that, I forgotten to hit "reply to list", while my habits was using Mutt but switched on Icedove recently (my family uses HTML mails, and so on).

And... this post I currently quote was addressed by author to me _and_ ML, then the "reply-to list" switched to him. Grumpf !

As said in a follow-up, a Reply-To will help :)

As a notice : this is also sadly really difficult to setup Mutt (text-mail client) with smtp+SSL and imaps, maybe Mutt authors could work on that, then integrate html.

Best regards,
TSFH.