Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux

From: Alexey Eromenko
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 05:37:51 -0500

The problem is not Steam (and their DRM) per se, but the lack of
Quality Free Software Games, that I could play for weeks, without
getting bored.

There is no equivalent of Warcraft III or Skyrim in the Open-Source world.
The commercial-proprietary world is the only one that makes quality games.
The only way to play quality games, until now, was using a proprietary
platform (Windows/Mac/Playstation/Xbox).

But now, yes, a walled garden gets ported over to Linux.
I think this is good for freedom, as it will allow many more users to
try out Linux, and improve the adoption of free ecosystem across the
world. (Less IE-only sites, less Flash-sites, more WebM videos, and
more cross-platform software, etc...)

Is Skype for Linux good or bad ?
IMO it is very good !
It would be impossible for me to call abroad without it. My phone
contract disallows me non-local calls, so I would be forced to use
Windows instead.
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"