Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 22:08:01 +0000

On Sun, 2012-11-11 at 22:05 +0530, Yogesh Girikumar wrote:
> On 11 November 2012 18:28, Bob Ham <rah@settrans.net> wrote:
> > The value of free software is in the freedom it brings, not necessarily
> > in the software itself.  Freedom always has, and always will be the
> > biggest "selling point" of free software.
>
> Some facts that at-least apply here in India:
>
> Most people do not know that the software they love and use (Firefox,
> Blender) are free software.

> I'm certain that Freedom is NOT the major selling
> point about Free Software, usability and gloss is.

You're using some popular packages to characterise free software in
general.  For those particular packages, it may well be that users are
attracted by the usability and gloss.

However, if one were to explain the concept of free software to these
users, they would hopefully see that the freedom these packages bring is
of even greater value than the attributes that first attracted them.

> I think (you'll hate me for saying this) that while software being
> free is extremely important, it should be given equal footing (when it
> is being advertised) to the market applicability if not take a back
> stage.

> I understand the difference between free and libre. What I'm
> saying is most people simply don't care.

You yourself said most people are unaware of software freedom, not
uncaring.  Our task is to educate them.  When they become aware, I think
you'll find most people *do* care about freedom.  We can't educate users
about free software while making software freedom take a back seat.

--
Bob Ham <rah@settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }