Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux

From: Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:40:06 +0100

<ramana@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM, David Steinhafel
> > <djs@davidsteinhafel.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> It seems most responders on the list are somewhat supportive of
> >> Steam on GNU/Linux because it may help increase exposure to
> >> GNU/Linux and Free Software.
> >
> > I did not get that impression at all.
> > I saw people raising concerns (especially well articulated by
> > Steven Hamilton) about the dangers of accepting proprietary
> > platforms.
>
> Having more users for GNU/Linux increases the chances to see
> hardware shipped with Linux pre-installed, and more drivers will
> be written for the Free OS.
>
> Currently it is pretty much impossible to get a Linux PC at the
> local store, while it is very easy to get an Android smartphone
> anywhere, at any corner. (the Galaxy S3)
>
> This is the power of big numbers - you solve the drivers problem
> instantly.

Exactly. Besides, the fact that I see Steam on Linux as a positive
development *does not* mean that I think that:
 - it's the perfect solution;
 - it's a final solution;
 - I shoiuld install and use it.

I see it as a game changer (pun not intended), because now in a few
months time, instead of explaining to people what Linux is and why
should they try it, and to be careful with hardware and why there are
not many games for it - we will "only" have to explain why on their
Linux box they already have to play Steam they can do so much more,
and why they should consider Libre games.

This will make our task so much easier.

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania