Re: [libreplanet-discuss] How respond to a tech support technician that

From: mark
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] How respond to a tech support technician that insists on needlessly installing proprietary software?
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:05:14 -0500

Hi,

   Here are some ways I have dealt with this kind of person in the past.

   I try to keep them from going through the script. I will ask them very
specifically for the information I need to fix the problem, and give
them the information they need to get it for me. This may keep them
from leading me through various procedures in their scripts, and
perhaps from even finding out that I don't use windows. Very often,
depending on the problem, the script person doesn't even know enough to
understand my question. This is a good thing because then I can ask to
talk to someone with enough technical expertise to help me. If you
repeat this procedure enough, you may eventually end up talking to an
engineer or someone else who can actually help you.

   It can also be very effective sometimes to ask to talk to supervisors.
A lot of these people are very motivated to keep from having pissed off
customers filing bad reports about them. Getting phone numbers is
sometimes a useful strategy too. Sometimes you get useful phone numbers
and sometimes you get better service due to the implied threat that you
may call others and perhaps file a bad report about the person or
department with whom you have dealt previously.

   As a last resort it may sometimes be effective to shout at someone a
little. Most of the time it is just a very satisfying way of ending
your relationship with these frustrating people. And perhaps, when it's
all said and done, this is absolutely the best thing to do with them.