Re: [libreplanet-discuss] How respond to a tech support technician that

From: arthur_torrey
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] How respond to a tech support technician that insists on needlessly installing proprietary software? (libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 52, Issue 1)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 04:44:57 +0000 (UTC)

Seems odd that a tech support person for a FLOSS program would want to install
proprietary stuff, but that's off the subject...

My answer would be to respond to the tech that can't discuss the use of other
software with a request / demand to be connected to someone that CAN discuss
it...

Presumably the person with the script is a first level peon who is only ALLOWED
to do certain things following a specified protocol - and not following it
could get them in trouble.  While frustrating, it doesn't help anyone to get
mad at the peon that is following their job instructions.

So as soon as it becomes obvious that you are asking for resolutions /
procedures that are outside their "designated box", requesting escalation to
someone that CAN authorize non-standard approaches seems appropriate, and keep
bumping it up the tree until you get to someone that can either let you use
other approaches, or explain exactly what it is that their software does that
yours doesn't  (assuming Mary-Anne is correct in that the proprietary software
does something non-obvious that the tech support folks need...)

Make the complaint about needing to bump a secondary issue - if they get enough
complaints, and requests to allow use of a FLOSS option then it may trickle
back down to the peons on the front line...

ART

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>