Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Libre Business for the Planet

From: Thomas HARDING
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Libre Business for the Planet
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:59:20 +0100

On 10/03/2015 18:37, Logan Streondj wrote:
Contents:
- Financing
- Planet-wide Project
- Unifying Vision
- Large Noosphere
- Big Itch
- Amount Solved

1. Large future Noosphere.

Right now, Libre Software, is limited to English speakers,
either first or second language.  English is the native language of
only 300 million people, and even with second langauge speakers, it is
at 1.2 billion, less than the 1.3 billion of Mandarin.
Reality is that we have over 7 billion people on the planet,
and there are over 6,000 languages.
As a French native speaker, my first attempts to programming
has for language a French-ed Fortran
(forgot the name, it was in the heighteen's, on SIl-Z2 computer
at technical high school).

It is the case also for formal programming (the earlier phase of
any program, among the numerous modelling methods).

Where the point is missed is : at low level (effective: excerpt for
libraries function names), most of languages has for name entries
a very limited set of "keywords". Much more : even translated, these
keywords will not follows in any way orthographic nor syntactic
natural language rules (plural, gender, terses, ...).

I taked a look at code from a colleague written in a French proprietary
ide/language named "Windev". Keywords are French, but it (sintactically)
have nothing to do with French language.

On the other hand, I heard for era about "cweb", from D. Knuth,
(but never took a look at any cweb code, I'm lazy...). The described
approach is ... to describe what does code does as long as writing
the program itself, then pre-process that we call otherwise "comments"
and nested code to produce the code itself, then compile.

As any lazy programmer, my comments are generally fuzzy and/or
simply missing (while code stays sometimes comprehensive by fair
"naming").

So, a good approach would be : model after cweb because of a true
natural language structure, then translate keywords as possible where
implemented/translated languages "spells". In fact I would be curious
about lex on a language BIG5 set based.

SPEL allows for creation of native-like human languages as input,
and can output to both human and computer languages.
With the 20+ languages it currently supports,
it can theoretically allow over 4 billion people to co-operate,
as if they were all speaking the same language,
and programming in the same langauge.
Extending for more languages is easy.
Unfortunately I found only references on Java/Spring about "SPEL".
Filtering out gives for result "SIGPLAN" and Spel workgroup.

If not based on coffee, I'm curious of a bunch of URI you could post
about SPEL :)
the native-like human languages do take at least a few days
or weeks of study to use by a native speaker,
though less than learning a foreign language,
and likely less than learning programming for the first time.

It would eventually be possible to have support for the vast majority
of human and computer languages.

Regards,
TSFH