[libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: Libre Business for the Planet

From: Logan Streondj
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: Libre Business for the Planet
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 13:09:15 -0400

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 07:59:20PM +0100, Thomas HARDING wrote:
> As a French native speaker, my first attempts to programming
> has for language a French-ed Fortran
> (forgot the name, it was in the heighteen's, on SIl-Z2 computer
> at technical high school).
>
> It is the case also for formal programming (the earlier phase of
> any program, among the numerous modelling methods).
>
> Where the point is missed is : at low level (effective: excerpt for
> libraries function names), most of languages has for name entries
> a very limited set of "keywords". Much more : even translated, these
> keywords will not follows in any way orthographic nor syntactic
> natural language rules (plural, gender, terses, ...).

SPEL currently already supports 25+ linguistic universals.
Though for simplicity the input language is analytic,
where the grammar words are seperated from the vocabulary words,
such as in Japanese, Chinese, Hebrew and to lesser extent English.

> I taked a look at code from a colleague written in a French proprietary
> ide/language named "Windev". Keywords are French, but it (sintactically)
> have nothing to do with French language.

So let me give 2 examples,
a hello world, and a simple sentence:

be say ob tha hello world ya

"be" indicates the verb phrase,
"ob" indicates the grammatical-object,
"tha" is the kind of "that" which starts a subordinate clause,
"ya" is sentence-final-particle analagous to a period.

here it is in the 6 UN langauges,
plus mwak which is the pivot language:

eng : be say ob tha hello world ya
zho : 世界 您好 之 对象 说 是 啊
spa : ser decir ob que hola mundo sí
ara : يكون قول أوب ثا مرحبا عالم يا
rus : быть сказать о то привет мир да
fra : être dire ob que bonjour monde ya
mwak : munt sla ti .a yan .i ya

It can compile to _javascript_ as
say(gettext("hello world"));

now for an example of use in conversation:

su me be go to the shop for bread ya

"su" is grammatical subject.

this is the input-version in the UN languages:

eng : su me be go to the shop for bread ya
zho : 面包 为 我 主题 去 是 店 该 到 啊
spa : su me ser ir a la tienda para pan sí
ara : يكون اذهب سو أنا إلى ال متجر سبيل خبز يا
rus : а мне быть идти к эт магазин для хлеб да
fra : su moi être aller à la boutique pour pain ya
mwak : panp plu mi .u tsuk sa ta kiy .i ya

currently there is also primitive conjugation support for output,
makes it look a little more natural:

eng :  I be go to the shop for bread.
zho : 面包 为 我 去 是 店 该 到 啊
spa :  soy ser ir a la tienda para pan.
ara : يكون اذهب أنا إلى ال متجر سبيل خبز.
rus :  я быть идти к эт магазин для хлеб.
fra :  je être aller à la boutique pour pain.
mwak : panp plu mi .u tsuk sa ta kiy .i ya

conjugation is currently translation-memory bases,
so basically a simple search and replace (su me becomes I).

better conjugation will be added after compiling down to programming
languages works at a functional level.

> On the other hand, I heard for era about "cweb", from D. Knuth,
> (but never took a look at any cweb code, I'm lazy...). The described
> approach is ... to describe what does code does as long as writing
> the program itself, then pre-process that we call otherwise "comments"
> and nested code to produce the code itself, then compile.

CWEB is literate programming, which is a fancy name for saying it is
easier to write comments than code. Makes it more like writing a
scientific paper, with a few formulas.

> Unfortunately I found only references on Java/Spring about "SPEL".
> Filtering out gives for result "SIGPLAN" and Spel workgroup.
>
> If not based on coffee, I'm curious of a bunch of URI you could post
> about SPEL :)

here is the main project site:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/spel/

> Regards,