Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives]

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives]
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 10:48:45 -0400

> Yoni,
>
> I and others made very clear and practical points about why your
> decision to move away from CC-BY-SA is not good.

I can't imagine how you would know that with such certainty.

> Namely, you are incorrect that it allows people to misrepresent
> you. Instead, what it allows is for people to represent their *own*
> views *alongside* yours in ways that draw on your work directly. I'm
> happy for that to happen with my work, and it does not detract from my
> own personal expression (and I'm as strong a believer in wanting my
> OWN personal expression as anyone).

I'm not worried about being misrepresented, and I strongly support
CC-BY-SA for anything useful. Finally, I'm sure that there is even use
in licensing personal opinions under CC-BY-SA; I don't think that's
wrong. I'm pointing out that in my view, choosing to make personal
opinions immutable is an acceptable choice, and that I understand and
appreciate why the FSF has made this choice.

This isn't to say that I don't think that there may be some of the FSF
opinion pieces which can be licensed differently to everyone's
advantage. But I have yet to see a practical discussion about a specific
one of those pieces, a different license, and what the community would
gain (outside of the general principles and the general argument, which
has been revisited many times over thus far.)

> It would be extremely sloppy for you to use Logan's lousy argument as an
> excuse to justify your conclusions. That would be ignoring reasonable
> arguments, cherry-picking ones you don't like, and then asserting that
> you are correct because you can point to a bad argument against you. But
> that ignores whether your argument is valid or whether there are good
> arguments against your points.

No worries, I explicitly wrote that I'm happy to continue the discussion
on different avenues, just not down the one Logan opened:

    "I don't mind trying other avenues of conversation, but not one
     based on dehumanizing my neighbors."