Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only

From: arthur_torrey
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only harm free software.
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 00:33:48 +0000 (UTC)

While I respect and admire Richard's 'purity' - I also want to be able to deal
with the real world, so my computer does have non-free software installed on it
where I don't think the free alternatives are as good...

Having a list / ranking / score system has a benefit - if for whatever reason
one doesn't want to use the '100% perfect' repo, isn't it better to use one
that is say '75% pure' vs one that is '0.0% pure'??  If so, how does one tell
the 'not-quite, but almost acceptable' from the 'downright evil' repos????

It's the same problem I have with the RYF label - because you don't allow the
label to be used on a product that also has a 'Works with <proprietary>' system
label, you cut your own throats - like it or not that is a big set of users,
and a manufacturer would be foolish to ignore a potential market segment.  If I
made a hardware product that ran on both, I wouldn't even think of applying for
an RYF label because of that restriction.  As a hardware consumer I am HURT,
because in most cases I can't look at a product box and see a 'Runs on
GNU/Linux' label next to the 'Runs on <other system>' label.  The Free Software
world is HURT because the proprietary system user never gets to see that he can
use his hardware under GNU/Linux as well as the proprietary system....

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>