Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only

From: arthur_torrey
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only harm free software.
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 04:08:22 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks for the clarification John, it does make the RYF label a bit less
onerous, but I thought I remembered that the restriction on mention of
proprietary operating systems seemed more than a bit restrictive and
one-sided....  So I looked it up
at https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/criteria and found the part I
had remembered pretty much correctly...

The RYF certification comes with the right to use the RYF logo on packaging,
literature, websites and so on...  The proprietary companies, for instance
Microsoft, have similar logos that say 'runs on x'...

But the RYF rules say:

>Companies awarded RYF certification for a given product, <BOLD>must not
>distribute any product-related materials with endorsements >or badges to
>proprietary software, such as "Works with Windows" or "Made for Mac"
>badges,</BOLD> because these would give an >appearance of legitimacy to those
>proprietary packages, and may make users think the product requires them.
>However, we don't >object to clear factual statements informing the user that
>the product also works with specific proprietary operating systems

In other words, you can have an RYF badge, OR a "Works with ...." badge, BUT
NOT BOTH! You do grudgingly allow a statement that a product works with
proprietary software in the fine print on the back of the box...

I have purchased products that were labeled with prominent 'Works with ....'
badges, and had lots of other labeling that "give an appearance of legitimacy
to those proprietary packages, and may make users think the product requires
them" but the CD-ROM that came with the product included GNU/Linux drivers, and
or at least some mention about using the product with GNU/Linux in the
documentation....

But RYF says:

>Some device manufacturers include a CD-ROM with their product that has
>proprietary Windows drivers for the device. This is >unacceptable because it
>does not meet the conditions above. The seller must either make those Windows
>drivers free software, >or not include special Windows drivers.

Thus while they may not encourage it, the obvious impression is that Microsoft
and Apple DO NOT prohibit product manufacturers that earn their 'Works with'
badges / labeling from ALSO having a "Works with Linux" label and including
drivers and documentation for it...

So it seems to me like a bit of a double standard....  And I repeat my
hypothetical opinion that if I made a product that worked with both GNU / Linux
and the proprietary software, I'd look at the respective market shares I could
get for each badge program and not even consider applying for an RYF label...
Hurts the effort to promote Free Software, Hurts the consumers looking for
products that run on GNU/Linux, might cost me some sales to those customers,
but not nearly as many as I'd lose by not promoting that I ran on those other
systems...

I'm not surprised that you don't know of cases where the labeling question has
been a deciding factor, since given the RYF restrictions I'd consider a
manufacturer that wanted to be able to sell to Windows users to be crazy to
even apply....  They would get to the page and see that it wouldn't do them any
good.....

I'm not saying that RYF has to change, though I think it should... I am saying
that we need a NON-DISCRIMINATORY 'Runs on GNU/Linux' badge program with logos
that can be put on products NEXT to the 'Runs on other stuff' badges!

ART
Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>