Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [GNU-linux-libre] freedom problems in docker

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [GNU-linux-libre] freedom problems in docker
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 08:37:29 +0200

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 06:51:41PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > docker have freedom  problems
>
> What is docker?  I don't think I recognize that name.

Best would be to read from here: https://www.docker.com/what-docker

"Docker containers wrap up a piece of software in a complete filesystem
that contains everything it needs to run: code, runtime, system tools,
system libraries – anything you can install on a server. This guarantees
that it will always run the same, regardless of the environment it is
running in. "

And see this picture:
https://www.docker.com/sites/default/files/products/what_is_layered_filesystems_sm.png

In regards to the GPL, docker is, in my opinion, executable or object
form. And I am sure that people who prepare containers for conveying it
to others do not take seriously the obligation to provide the source
code or to copy the corresponding GPL licenses and other licenses along
with the object/executables provided.

Jean Louis